Black Belt / Dan Candidate Self-Defense Demonstrations
The candidate's required demonstration must incorporate the moves and skill level exemplified within the katas and weapons of the testing level.
Black Belt demo should be around 20-30 techniques, and should last no more than 2 minutes.
Include the following in your demo:
- 2 escaping techniques
- 2 throwing techniques
- 2 sets of Knife self-defense
- 2 Tambo applications
- 2 Bo applications
- a mix of hard and soft style techniques (2 applications)
- include foot sweeps and dropping kicks
- move off-line (live or dead side)
- use all parts of the weapon (bouncing principal / do not reload the strike every time)
- block with one hand while striking with the other (same applies to weapon)
- use legs and extra empty hand when defending or attacking
- strike a minimum of 3 different targets (multiple levels)
- make sure your attacker is your equal in skill - do not just block and kill
- Dan test Demos will have one “super” sequence for each of the katas required at their rank.
e.g. Nidan candidates have 4 katas = 4 sequences (with 2 attackers for each sequence).
- Each sequence should be 30-45 seconds long.
- The Demo will include all the requirements mentioned in the 3-D guidelines.
- The Ukes (multiple attackers) must exhibit almost equal ability to that of the “tester”. This is to allow the tester to demonstrate their “defense” knowledge, and not just to attack and dispose of the attackers like a “mannequin”.
- The tester must also use all parts of the weapon (front, back, middle) as well as defensive and offensive moves.
- Techniques, throws, and finishing moves must be at the appropriate level according to their rank.
- You can find more helpful tips in the Demo Guideline hand outs (visit My Site)
- Additional Tips and Guidelines